1. Take Temperature
- The most accurate way to take a temperature is rectal.
- If you are uncomfortable with this, then take temperature under the armpit.
- If it is higher than 99 F, then double-check it rectally using a rectal thermometer to get the most accurate reading.
If Temperature Is Below 102 Degrees F
- You don’t need to treat the fever unless the child is uncomfortable or has a history of seizures with fever.
- Make sure the child gets plenty of fluids and rest.
2. Call Your Pediatrician
- If the child’s temperature is higher than 100.4 F, call your pediatrician.
- A child this age should always be seen by their pediatrician if they are sick.
- Bathing or sponging the child with lukewarm water may help bring down a fever.
- Do not use cold water, ice baths, or alcohol.
- Do not give any medicine unless discussed first with the doctor,